We always do our best to provide our customers with a pleasant, safe ride to their final destination. But we can’t do it alone! We depend on our customers to follow basic, common sense rules of conduct, and to treat other passengers the way they would like to be treated.
With that in mind, conduct prohibited on BCTA vehicles includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Refusing to pay the proper fare
- Harassing or threatening the driver or other passengers
- Using profanity
- No smoking, no chewing tobacco, no snuff, no vapes, and no e-cigarettes
- Not sitting while the bus is in motion when seats are available. In the rare instance when there are no seats available, you must use the hand railing or standee strap.
- No firearms or weapons of any kind are permitted on BCTA buses, on BCTA property, or inside BCTA property at BCTA’s Rochester and Center Township facilities
- Listening to music without headphones and/or at a volume that disturbs other passengers or the driver
- Blocking the aisle with a stroller or other large item. All children need to be removed from child strollers and seated in a regular seat. The child stroller must be folded and stowed upright or under the seat. Children unable to sit on their own may remain in a carrier or be held by the adult. The carrier must be safely seated next to the fare-paying adult.
- Transferring a duly-issued Day Pass, 7-Day Pass, 31-Day Pass, Reduced Fare Identification Card, or Free Senior Transit Identification Card to another passenger
- Lying down or occupying more than one seat (Of course, we make reasonable exceptions for children and sleepy adults as space permits)
- Loud or disruptive behavior, including using phones on “speaker”
- Putting feet up on the seats
- Defacing the vehicle or other peoples’ belongings
- Bringing animals aboard that are not service animals or are not carried in an approved pet carrier
- Smoking cigarettes, cigars, pipes, or any other lit tobacco product, or use of an electronic smoking device that provides a vapor of nicotine or other substance, and which simulates smoking through inhalation of the device.
- Drinking (Only a cup/thermos with a locked, spillproof lid will be permitted)
- Transport of recreational bicycles
- Attempting to board a bus in motion or opening or attempting to open closed bus doors for any reason.
Drinking alcoholic beverages or being grossly intoxicated to the point of the following:
- Harassing or disturbing others
- Being loud or disruptive
- Losing control over bodily functions
Violation of these rules can result in the following:
- Verbal warning
- Expulsion from the vehicle
- Refusal of future service
- Confiscation of fare media