If you need assistance in determining how to use cash, tickets, or passes when boarding a BCTA vehicle, please read on:As you board the bus, please have your exact fare ready in the form of cash, pass, or ticket.
- This will help speed the boarding process and keep the bus on-time
- Drivers do not carry change
You will not be permitted to de-board at an interim stop to get the correct change to pay your fare – this makes it too difficult for the driver to keep track of customers and their individual fares, and exposes BCTA to fraud.
If paying by cash, fare cards or paper transfer:
- You will notice two slots on the farebox
- Coins are dropped in the left slot
- Paper media are deposited in the slot on the right
To ensure that the correct fare is being paid, and help to prevent farebox breakdowns, bills, fare cards, and transfers must be unfolded before being placed into the farebox.
If you need to transfer to another BCTA or Port Authority bus, ask the driver for a transfer
If you are purchasing a Day Pass, please notify the driver
If paying by magnetic pass, ticket, or BCTA transfer:
- There will be a small box with a slot in the top in the immediate area of the main farebox
- Insert your unfolded pass, ticket, or transfer arrow side down into this slot
- If the magnetic card is used up or expired, the box will retain it – expired cards are not valid for fare payment
- If you have trips remaining on the card, the box will process it and pass it back to you for future use